Sunday, August 19, 2012

Learning music - Beau Bledsoe

I have a process when learning a new instrument or style of music. I will plunge my self head first into the source of inspiration that made me interested in the first place. In this case Portuguese guitar virtouso, Carlos Paredes. His Composition "Verdes Anos" has haunted me for over a decade blowing around in my head like a dust bunny. I received my Portuguese guitar two days ago from luthier Dave Bucher (a really great instrument) and the first thing I did was tune it up and attempt to learn this haunting melody.

guitarra Portuguesa by Dave Bucher

I found a transcription (musical score made from a recording) on a Portuguese guitar forum but like so many transcriptions on the internet it's not even close. So here it is, my first transcription. BTW, if you're a guitarist and want play this, the instrument is tuned, 1st string to 6th, A, G, D, A, G, C.

Click here for pdf version

I find this a great way to learn music. I use a program called "audiospeed" to slow down, loop and retune  recordings and video. Verdes Anos is a classic tune in Portugal so there are many videos of players on youtube to choose from. I simple watch their fingers slowly and write down what I see and LISTEN very intently. Then I'll make a nice score using the Finale program. I get a real kick out of making nice scores for some reason. It's like learning a new language and publishing your results. I learned to play the guitar in the same way by dropping needles onto slowed down vinyl records (yes I'm that old). This is also how I approached the oud, flamenco guitar and many other styles.  To me it feels like a portal to another place. I can be in 17th century London,  AndalucĂ­a or a fado bar in Lisboa. Also I will dream Verdes Anos for a few days. This ALWAYS happens. I believe it's my brain wiring up what it's learned and practicing.

Audiospeed


1 comment:

  1. I've been looking for a good transcription of this song, a lot of editions, but by far, yours is the most accurate!!! Thanks a lot for sharing (I was struggling to realize the middle voice and you made it!)
    Just found your blog today...

    ReplyDelete