Monday, September 3, 2012

Notes from the first Fado Novato rehearsal




"A RUA DO CAPELÃO" - Amália Rodrigues

I was pleasantly surprised by how prepared everyone was.  This is a rare occurrence in my experience. I’m really struck by how good the Portuguese guitar and Spanish guitar sound together. They seem to be the perfect dynamic level for one another but the timbres are so different. When Jordan and I play the same chord the music takes on an evocative shimmer that I find very appealing. I also felt the rehearsal had a nice fast pace with little “goofing off’. This is also a rare occurrence! I’m still struggling to play my new instrument by I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it pretty candle light in a casa de Fado!
~ Beau Bledsoe


It was very exciting to finally have all three of us together to play through our rep. Having already performed a handful of these tunes without the addition of the Portuguese guitarra; I was amazed at how much the instrument adds to the songs and how well the guitarra and Spanish guitar fit together. Performing these pieces with two guitars, or guitar and mandolin, just doesn’t compare to the sound of Spanish guitar and Portuguese guitarra. Also, it was a great, and somewhat challenging exercise to play through these songs at slower than the performance tempo. It helped me quite a bit to define my role on guitar.
~ Jordan Shipley

No comments:

Post a Comment