Friday, January 25, 2013

New Fados

For our January 27th show (sold out) we're learning a couple of new fados as we always do. Joining us is Kansas City's latest addition to the Jazz Community, Karl McComas-Reichl. Karl is a brilliant player with much to offer and I'm sure he'll be booked solid soon as the word gets out. Below are two rehearsal videos shot and recorded by Giuliano Mingucci, a great percussionist that often joins us on cajon. Although not polished performances, I think these videos capture something very important. Process. Both tunes are classic fados - Estranha Forma da Vida and Saudades do Brasil em Portugal. It's a real joy to regularly get together with these great musicians. We seem to always have great Brazilian Coffee and if we're lucky Shay makes us something nice to eat. This week we had lovely tuna melts from heaven.

Enjoy!- Beau


translation:

It was the will of God
That I live in this anxiety.
Where all sighs are mine alone,
Where all longing belongs to me.
It was the will of God.
Such a strange manner of being
Does my heart possess;
It exists in a lost form;
Who gave it this magic?
Such a strange manner of being.
Independent heart,
A heart I do not control:
It finds itself lost among us,
Stubbornly bleeding,
Oh, independent heart.
I will accompany you no more:
Stop, cease your beating.
If you know not your destination,
Why must you insist on running?
I will accompany you no longer.

___________________


translation:

The salt of my tears of love
Created the sea that exists between us
To unite and separate us.
I could tell you
The pain that hurts inside of me,
That grinds my heart in this passion,
That is endless.
Absence that is so cruel
Longing that is fatal
Longing for Brazil in Portugal
My friend, whenever you hear a lament
A growing heartbreaking voice in the wind
It is me, alone, thinking of you
Crying all the time, lost


1 comment:

  1. Bom dia. Sou um novato do Fado tambem... I just stumbled onto your blog while seeking a lead on the Soares method book. I awakened to the genre during a two week visit to Portugal in 2011. First live performance at Club Luso and I was hooked. After returning home and buying CDs and DVDs of fado music, and becoming a real pain to the uninitiated, I couldn't stand it any longer and bought a guitarra de Lisboa for myself. I used to play 2- and 3-finger folk guitar but had laid off for a dozen or so years because of arthritis. Fado got me back in the game, and I am really happy to learn of your project. I watched the vids and you are doing nicely, muito bem, na verdad. If I head down your way I'll try and reach out...

    CT from the D

    ReplyDelete