Sunday, February 24, 2013

Forms of Fado (Fado Lopes)

I've been trying to wrap my head around the dizzying array of fado forms so I'm starting this "forms of fado" topic to investigates each one. Hopefully I'll know what most of them are before the big trip to Libson in June. I've been studying flamenco guitar since '93 and that tradition also have many forms called "palos" that one has to familiarize themselves with in order to even start to understand it. I've been learning a popular fado called "fado lopes" that is often played as a solo for the guitarra. It seems that many of the forms are named after their creators so I'm assuming there was a great guitarist by the name of José Lopes that first came up with this set of variations over E minor. That's what google has taught me anyway. As with flamenco, I'm sure there are many that would argue over who did what when but that's what makes it so fun. You need something to talk about over drinks. -Beau Bledsoe



Here's one version from a secondary school



Here's another from a fado house in Alfama (cell phone)




and another from brilliant guitarist Filipe De Sousa



2 comments:

  1. Hi there, I'm Catarina from Portugal and I’m a big Fado lover! First of all I want to let you know that it is with enormous pride that I see our most traditional musical treasure traveling across borders. Thank you for your interest and for the opportunity you are giving to this so special style. When you talk about Fado you must definitely take a look at "Ana Moura" and "Carminho". They are certainly the best examples of the contemporary Fado. I wish you all the best and hope to see you around soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parabéns pelo vosso trabalho.
    E que vos corra tudo bem em Lisboa.
    Quem vem por bem, é sempre bem-vindo.
    Se puderem, não deixem de ouvir o Desfado ao vivo, da Ana Moura.
    Boa viagem

    ReplyDelete