Friday, July 27, 2012

Unhas - fingernails - Beau Bledsoe


I've attempted to make my own finger picks for playing the Portuguese guitar. This is a traditional practice that most of the guitarists utilize in Portugal. I have my own nails that I use to play so I think I may by pass on this practice altogether. Plus my hero Carlo Paredes seems to get along just fine without these artificial nails. But my family is out of town and I recently built a new work bench in the basement. Let us begin. Using the youtube video here and here I managed to initiate myself into yet another bizarre practice of the Portuguese guitar.




materials needed: CD case, slide, dremel tool, drill, scissors, surgical tape, exacto blade,  2X4, ruler, safety glasses, beer



















drill hole



















insert slide, note: failed other hole (too small)



















assemble "mold"



















cut acrylic piece out of CD case



















drill hole for finger



















heat brass slide and attempt to mold acrylic into a curve. Fail miserably



















Try cutting a shape out of a pill bottle



















success!

They go on the fingers like so.

Again...I think I may have to not use these. We'll see.















No comments:

Post a Comment