Sunday, July 15, 2012

What is this strange thing called a Portuguese guitar? - Beau Bledsoe



Today I received this in my inbox…"I keep checking back for updates!!!! What's happening? How about posting links to some samples on You Tube or something? What the heck IS a Portuguese guitar anyway? Inquiring musical minds would like updates. Thanks,"

Oh how flattered I am that someone is interested! Well reader, No new samples yet but I’d love to answer the guitar question.

The Portuguese guitar is an unusual instrument that bares little resemblance to the Spanish guitar that I play everyday. In fact that instrument is called the “viola” in Portugal. Confused yet?


Although there is much debate, most agree that it’s a direct descendant of the English guitar from the 1700’s, which is really a cittern. The cittern is a pear shaped string instrument that was very popular all over Europe dating from the Renaissance. For hundreds of years it was the premier instrument of casual music making much as is the guitar today.

English guitar
woman with cittern




It’s playing technique can be dated back to the 17th century. The instrument employs a very old right hand technique called “dedilho” or “dedillo in Spanish”. The fingers of the plucking hand are almost parallel to the strings and only the thumb and forefinger are used with few exceptions. The pinky finger rests on the soundboard which will surely give all of my former classical guitar teachers massive heart attacks. Observe the hand position in the oil painting below compared to the record cover of Portuguese guitar legend Carlos Paredes. Also many lutenists utilize a similar technique. In the Portuguese style, the right corner of the nail is used to pluck the string but many modern players have moved to using artificial nails made from tortoise shell or plastic. 




















Another esoteric feature is that I have to make my own strings! I feel like those monastic oboe players that spend many hours diligently making their own reeds. Actually it’s not so bad. I have to buy the wire strings in spools and make my own loops at each end of the string using my new "alicate" (string winder). I understand that this is what many guitarists had to do in ye olden days.





I also have to get around to making my own “unhas” or artificial nails to play the guitar with. Thanks to the unusually thorough youtube videos of Ron Fernandez I think I’m going to be able to do this project with my dremel tool, some empty pill bottles and surgical tape. It all just gets more and more strange.





Oh…and for musicians only – Look at how this thing is tuned! Lord help me.





One aesthetic detail of the Portuguese guitar that I'm absolutely enamored with are the "Preston tuners" that grace the head of the instrument like a proud peacock. This design was invented by London guitar maker, John Preston (1753 - 1700). These are also know as "watch key" tuners.




My Portuguese guitar, made by my friend Dave Bucher, is supposed to be completed in mid August so I’ll let you know how things progress. I really hope this helps everyone grasp this strange and beautiful instrument because I'm still thoroughly mystified.

- Beau


1 comment:

  1. In Elizabethan and Jacobean music we frequently find 'cittern' spelled 'gittern', which makes a bit more sense of the English Guitar being a cittern.

    When doing research into early music in America I ran across advertisements for guitar lessons in colonial newspapers from Williamsburg. This only made sense after I realized that this had to do with the "English Guitar".

    ReplyDelete